09 December 2013

Mount Jerai Kedah





I had wanted to climb Gunung Jerai (also known as Kedah Peak) ever since I saw its brooding silhouette in the distance from the top of Penang Hill.
It is a good size, 1217m (3992 ft) and is the second highest peak in Kedah state. Because it rises steeply from the surrounding pancake-flat paddy fields it seems even higher.According to my list of the Highest Mountains in Malaysia it is ranked 148th highest.Then I discovered that it is possible to drive up the mountain so I cheated. Nowadays I have a habit that if there is a road, I use it and save my energy for those mountains (the vast majority) where walking is the only choice.

The 8560 hectares of jungle enveloping Kedah Peak is a protected forest reserve and I passed by the Sungai Teroi Recreational Forest on the way where there are jungle trails to explore.Almost at the top of the mountain is the Regency Jerai Hill Resort, a smart looking 4 star hotel which was opened in 2010. It has 75 rooms and chalets, a swimming pool and a nice restaurant

The mountain is marked on the map on my Top Kedah Attractions page.The turn off is just past the town of Gurun and is clearly signposted. Take care on the winding 13km approach road if you are driving yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...